How to Install Telegram on a Mac Computer
There are two ways to download Telegram Desktop to a Mac: using the link on the official site or from the Mac App store. Read on for detailed, step-by-step instructions explaining how to download Telegram on a MacBook or iMac. Complete the simple registration process and use the secure Telegram messenger with group video call functionality. In this article, we will explain how the app outperforms the built-in iMessage and FaceTime apps, examine the QR code scanning error, and teach you to uninstall the program.
Before installing the program on a Mac computer, don’t forget to download Telegram to an Android phone or iPhone. The smartphone app will be required for registering the messenger on a computer.
Do MacBook Users Need Telegram?
MacOS contains the built-in programs iMessage and FaceTime, allowing for convenient messaging and video calling, but these technologies are not supported on Android devices, which have a three billion user base. Unlike the built-in messengers, Telegram works on all platforms, including macOS, iOS, Android, Windows, and Linux. Staying connected using only one app across all platforms is convenient for users. Let’s highlight the messenger’s other advantages.
- Send your friends photos, videos, .docx documents, as well as .ppt, .xlsx, and other files up to 2 GB.
- Save important messages, documents, photographs, and video clips in your personal cloud under Saved Messages.
- Share files across a phone, computer, and tablet.
- Connect with friends using Channels and Groups.
- Stream movies, listen to music, and play online games.
To sum up, the built-in functionality is sufficient for communicating within the Apple ecosystem. To reach the Windows, Android, and Linux user base and to expand on the capabilities of iMessage, install Telegram Desktop.
Two Ways of Downloading Telegram to a MacBook or iMac
Download the messenger from the telegram.org website or install the application from the Apple Store. Let’s examine both installation methods with screenshots and explanations.
1. Open the application’s official site, macos.telegram.org.
2. Click on the blue Get Telegram for macOS button and give permission for Safari to download the file from the macos.telegram.org website.
3. In the top right-hand corner of the browser, go to downloaded files and open Telegram.dmg.
4. Drag the Telegram icon into the Applications folder.
5. After completing installation, open the Launchpad and click on the icon of the app.
6. Give the computer permission to open the downloaded file.
7. Launch the messenger on a phone running iOS or Android, go into the app’s settings, and select Devices.
8. Click on the blue Link Desktop Device button and scan the QR code on the computer screen.
If you don’t want to scan the QR code, or if your phone camera isn’t working, follow the Log in by phone number link. Select your country, enter your phone number, and get a confirmation code in the messenger installed on your iPhone.
- Click on the App Store symbol in the Dock panel.
- Type “telegram” into the search bar.
- Follow the link labeled Get and click on the cloud in top right-hand corner next to the first search result.
- After downloading the messenger on a Mac, scan the QR code or log in by phone number. Follow the step-by-step instructions given above.
Removing Telegram from a MacBook
1. Click on the Launchpad icon in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
2. Left-click on the Telegram icon until the icons begin to jiggle.
3. In the top right-hand corner of the messenger icon, press on the X, and then press the Delete button.
An alternative way to delete Telegram from a Mac computer is to go into the Finder, select Applications in the left-hand menu, and click on the line with the name of the application.
QR Code Scanning Error
If your iPhone isn’t scanning the QR code, click on the gear symbol, go into the camera settings under Camera, and slide the Scan QR Codes switch to the “on” position.