How to Install Telegram on a Windows 10 Computer
You can install Telegram on a computer running Windows in two ways: using the link on the official site or from the Microsoft Store. We will explain why downloading it from telegram.org is preferable. The official website offers 32- and 64-bit downloads, a mobile version, and older builds for Windows XP and Vista. The messenger from the Microsoft Store works reliably on 64-bit Windows 10/11 systems but is not supported on 32-bit operating systems. Besides the bitness issue, it is impossible to download Telegram Portable or Telegram for outdated Windows operating systems from the Microsoft Store. Read the detailed step-by-step instructions, which will explain how to download Telegram on a PC, create a shortcut on your desktop and in the Start menu, and disable Avast in case the antivirus blocks the application.
Install Telegram on a PC running Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10, or 11 to obtain access to photos and videos from your phone, to chat and share multimedia with friends, or to send files as large as hundreds of megabytes to work colleagues.
1. Open the official Telegram site https://telegram.org/ in your web browser.
2. Under the heading Recent News, follow the link labeled Telegram for PC / Linux.
3. If you are working with a 64-bit OS, click on the blue button Get Telegram for Windows x64. When working with a 32-bit OS, follow the link labeled Show all platforms and click on Get Telegram for Windows.
4. Wait for the setup wizard to fully download.
5. Click on the downloaded file tsetup-x184.108.40.206.exe.
6. In the modal window titled Select Setup Language, select English from the drop-down menu and click OK.
7. In the window titled Select Destination Location, click on the Browse button to select a folder for installing Telegram Desktop and click Next.
Installing Telegram on your computer will require at least 114 MB of memory.
8. In the window titled Select Start Menu Folder, choose a folder in the Start menu for the Telegram shortcut. If you don’t intend to add a shortcut to the Start menu, check the box Don’t create a Start Menu folder. Click the Next
By default, the installer creates a shortcut in the Telegram Desktop folder in the Programs parent directory of the Start menu. If you want to change the default name of the Telegram Desktop folder, enter a different name for the folder. To add the messenger to a Programs subfolder, click Browse and select the subfolder.
9. In the window titled Select Additional Tasks, if you want to add a shortcut for the messenger to the desktop, leave the Create a desktop shortcut box checked. Click Next.
10. On the screen titled Ready to Install, check that the installation parameters you have previously set are correct. If the settings are correct, press Install. In the case of any errors, click Back and make any necessary changes.
11. Wait for Telegram to install on your computer.
12. Messenger installation on your PC is complete. To launch the application right now, check the Launch Telegram box in the last window of the setup wizard and press Finish. If you want to open the program later, uncheck the Launch Telegram box before clicking the Finish button.
Users of Windows 10 x64 version 14316.0 and higher can download Telegram from the Microsoft application store. Let’s examine the five steps of installation.
1. Click on the Microsoft Store icon in the taskbar.
2. In the search bar, type in “telegram” and press Enter.
3. Click on the blue Install button.
4. Wait for the files to finish copying.
5. To access the registration and login screen, press the blue Open button, which has now replaced the Install button.
When installing Telegram from the Microsoft Store, the setup wizard does not create a shortcut on the Windows desktop.
Let’s examine four installation errors that users may encounter.Let’s examine four installation errors that users may encounter.
Offers to install additional programs
Load the setup wizard only from the official website, https://telegram.org/. When you install the application from an unofficial source, additional programs may be downloaded to your computer, creating a risk of infecting your device with viruses.
The setup wizard doesn’t launch
Verify that you have not accidentally downloaded the setup wizard for macOS or Linux from the official site, https://telegram.org/. Confirm that the Telegram bitness matches the register size of your computer’s operating system. To check the register size of your Windows version, right-click on the Telegram icon on your desktop and select Properties.
How to download Telegram in Windows XP
Windows XP and Vista users cannot install the latest Telegram version from the year 2022 on their computer. Follow the link https://desktop.telegram.org/changelog, scroll down, and install the old messenger version 1.8.15, or open Telegram in your browser.
Antivirus software is blocking the installation
If your antivirus is blocking Telegram installation, temporarily disable the application. As an example, let’s examine how to disable Avast. Right-click on the Avast icon in the notification tray, open up the context menu labeled Avast shields control and select Disable for 10 minutes.